Student Contents Insurance

Student contents insurance is perhaps not something that most students consider when they start university; purchasing insurance can seem like quite a dull task when faced with such an exciting new period of one’s life. But this type of outlook could leave a student who is uninsured with an enormous bill should an accident or theft occur. According to several surveys, students are one of the most vulnerable groups to crime, with one out of three students falling victim to a crime at some point during their years at university. It is theorised that this is partly due to the location of some student accommodation, in high crime rate locations.

Almost half of students in the UK do not have student contents insurance, perhaps because they do not think it would be of benefit to them. But what if a laptop was taken during a burglary? Most students use their laptops for much of their work at university and having it stolen could mean being without this important piece of equipment for a long period of time until one can afford to buy a new one. For those with student contents insurance, such an unfortunate event would be far less expensive and stressful; a replacement for a stolen laptop could be sent within a day.

Once a student has decided to protect their belongings by buying student contents insurance, the selection of the policy which best suits their need is the next step. There are a huge number of insurance companies in the UK and choosing a policy can seem like a daunting task at first. Make sure to read the small print to confirm that the policy will cover both the expensive and the cheaper possessions. This is important because if there were for instance, a fire and everything that one owned was destroyed, the numerous cheaper items in addition to the more expensive ones could add up to a small fortune. This leads to the next point, which is that a policy should provide coverage of both accidental damages as well as theft. Fires or other accidents such as dropping a laptop are common when living with a large group of people in a shared property.

It is worth noting that once a student has purchased a policy, the insurance only covers the possessions of that particular student and not the possessions of anyone else living in the property It is also important to find out if the insurance coverage is valid whilst the accommodation is unoccupied, for instance during Christmas or the summer holidays. Depending on the company, certain policies do not cover accidents or burglaries which occur when a property has been empty for more than a month.

This is a company feature for